biscuits: the beginning

I think I’m going through a 1/3 of my life crisis. For the past year or so, I’ve been struggling with big questions and largely vague dreams. I have been in a constant state of discontentment, which, if you know me really well, you know that’s not particularly out of the ordinary. However, these particular questions and desires feel different. They have more pull and far greater consequences than my irritating desire to move every six months, or the fact that I can rarely stand to eat the same meal twice. I thrive on change, it energizes me, but something so big as jumping into a new career or even a new phase of life is proving to be less exciting and far more scary than I expected.

Making it all more difficult is my inclination to like most things, leaving me with no real direction. If I do actually want to pursue a new career, I can’t simply choose to do all of the things I enjoy, or could I? Is it even possible to do everything I love and call it a career? Cooking, baking, photography, antique collecting and writing are among the group of the beloved, but how can I do all of those things and do them well? Clearly I need to narrow it down.

These images are the product of me attempting to do just that, to find a direction I enjoy immensely by actually spending time exploring and working. The amazingly warm and kind hearted Van Dao of Biscuit Bender agreed to share his insanely delicious biscuits with me and spent an afternoon allowing me to photograph them in a beautiful cafe in San Francisco. Though I was nervous to do a shoot like this for the first time, it ended up being a beautiful collaboration and resulted in images that I’m incredibly proud of. I feel so fortunate to have friends like Van who are willing to support me in such a tangible way, and who are shaping the very direction of my life.

I would be remiss not to mention another group who has greatly encouraged these dreams, shaping my life dramatically. YOU ALL, the ones who read this small blog, and encourage me to keep at it. I’m so thankful for all of you. I hope you stick around and travel this road alongside me, wherever it might take us.

Be sure to take a good look at these images. I don’t want you to miss how utterly gorgeous these biscuits are. I sampled all of them, and with full conviction I tell you, they’re the best biscuits you can get in this city. Not only are they beautiful (and quite photogenic!), they are made with a watchful eye and a talented hand.

If one day you have a particular hankering for just about the best biscuits you’ll ever have, or maybe you really miss mom’s meatloaf and figure you can’t go wrong having it wrapped in a biscuit (I know, right?), treat yourself to Van’s biscuits. And because he is genius, he also makes homemade bloody mary’s to go with your biscuit wrapped meatloaf. Yep, I know.

You can find biscuits in the completely inspiring Hollow, as well as a delightful chai latte and ridiculously friendly staff.  Mission Cheese also stocks Biscuit Bender biscuits. Can you imagine that cranberry biscuit slathered with some brie, or even some blue cheese? Go get it y’all. And thanks again, for everything.

About these ads

May 29, 2012. Tags: , , , , , . bread, breakfast, photography, san francisco food finds, things you should check out.

18 Comments

1. Joleen Willis replied:

Biscuits have never looked so good! I seriously loved reading what you had to say and I loved the photography as well. Very well done! Excited to hear more about it!

• Rachel Logan replied:

Thank you so much Joleen! That means a lot coming from you! You’re a huge inspiration to me in life and in creativity. Thanks for all of the knowledge you share with me, it is indispensable!

2. christina replied:

Beautiful photos & biscuits Rachel! My mouth is seriously watering (for real). And you captured them superbly. I am so excited to see all the amazing things you’re going to do in the future!

• Rachel Logan replied:

Thank you Christina! I appreciate you more than you know. You have been such a wonderful encouragement and the best sounding board for all of my crazy ideas! I am so happy you are here. :)

3. Jon replied:

Of course, I’m partial to Rachel’s cooking and baking, but these biscuits were excellent!

• Rachel Logan replied:

Thanks Jon. You’re the best support I have. I couldn’t do any of this with out you. :)

4. Samantha replied:

I can’t wait til our lil meetup this summer! I know we’re going to be chatting up a storm over delicious food. :)

• Rachel Logan replied:

I can’t wait either! It’s going to be the best time!

5. Katie replied:

oh wow!! they all look so good. i hear that 1/3 life crisis’ are pretty common ;)

• Rachel Logan replied:

Hey Katie! Oh good! I’m so glad that’s common!

6. The Hungry Architect replied:

Beautiful photography… really, well done!

I know EXACTLY how you feel… i’m at 1/3 too and closing in on the end of my education and still looking to the horizon.

Food is a good thing to fall back on. :)

Keep up the great work!

• Rachel Logan replied:

A delicious fall back plan at that! Thanks so much for your nice comments. I really appreciate them! Love your blog too. ;)

7. Van Dao replied:

Rachel, I don’t think you have to look far or further, your talent is clearly shown! Food builds community and talents like yours support the growth…mutally beneficial growth. Thank you! Van

• Rachel Logan replied:

Aww thanks so much Van! That means a lot coming from you!

8. msgallardo replied:

Lovely! Thanks for sharing. I hope you find lots of happiness with whatever you choose to do. (Yay San Francisco!!!!)

9. Barbara replied:

Rachel,
    After five years of working with you I find that you are a multi-talented young lady and I can’t wait to see in what direction your talents will take you. Your writing skills are top notch and I really think you should consider being a writer. You truly have a way with words.
    Then there’s the baking/cooking…..I’ve tasted your treats and that too should continue to be pursued.
    Whatever you do, you will be successful….and I watch and wait to see what is next.
    Babs

• Rachel Logan replied:

Barb, thank you so much for your sweet comment. You are such an encouragement to me! I appreciate all you say and do. And thanks for being a faithful taste tester!

10. 5 завтраков + недельный обзор 18-22 июня 2012 | promama.info replied: